I came up with these for my daughter because she really likes to feed herself, has mastered all the ‘single’ ingredient foods, and loves fluffy textured foods. Babes need lots of nutrients so meal time really needs to pack a punch to help supplement what they are getting as their primary nutrition through breast milk or formula. I love that these puffs have…
- Broccoli for lots of great vitamins and fiber
- Potatoes for fuel and energy
- Milled Flaxseed for healthy fats
- Cheese for a little bit of calcium
Since my babe isn’t quite to the point of just eating these guys straight (or at least her paranoid mommy isn’t quite ready for it yet) I do chop these up into smaller bite sized pieces for her that are much safer. But these would be perfect for a young child who is a more confident and safe eater. Going the baby led weaning route? No problem, just form into fingers instead of balls!
Broccoli Potato Puffs
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and grease a medium sized sheet pan.
Cook broccoli - I used a bag of steamable frozen broccoli to help cut down on active prep time for myself.
Cook potatos until fork tender. I used mini potatoes and just boiled them in a medium pot over medium-high heat for about 5-10 minutes. I was able to just cut them in half and scoop the flesh and discard the skins. You can also just used a russet potato that you have peeled and cooked.
Place broccoli and potato flesh into a food processor and blend on high until well mixed and broccoli is about 'rice sized'. Move mixutre to a medium bowl.
In the bowl combine the remaining ingredents, mix well.
Using your hands form small balls with the mixture and place on greased sheet pan. You should be able to make about 18 puffs.
Place puffs in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Puffs should be lightly golden brown.
- Freezer Meal Alert! These puffs can be frozen after cooking. Just place in a plastic freezer bag. When ready to use pull out of the freezer and reheat in the microwave in 20 seconds increments.
- Traditional Weaning: These puffs are made just for little ones. Once your babe is taking small bite-sized pieces you can crumble them to the right sized pieces for your babe!
- Baby Led Weaning: To adjust for baby led weaning form into fingers instead of puff 'bites' for babe!
- Adult Revision: Feel free to add a pinch of salt to season your puffs as a snack or side dish!